The first step is to register with the ECFMG, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. This is an independent organization that is required in order to verify your status as enrolled or graduated from your foreign medical institution. Registering for the ECFMG costs $65 USD. Certification by ECFMG is the standard for evaluating the qualifications of IMGs before they enter U.S. graduate medical education, or GME. This a necessary step to register for your United States Medical Licensing Exams or USMLEs & begin giving supervised patient care. The ECFMG will issue you a USMLE number so you can register for your exams, and can also help with sponsoring visas, as well as applying for GME and residency positions. With each year passing, more and more IMG are applying for residency programs in the Unites states in comparison to the available positions in residency programs.
Requirements for an ECFMG certification
There are broadly 3 types of requirements for ECFMG certifications:
- Application for ECFMG certification – The application requires the applicants have to provide the following eligibility requirements– Name, contact information and graduation certification from the medical college (The medical college should be listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools). In case the medical school is not listed in the World directory, the candidate is not eligible to apply for the certification.
- Examination requirement – In order for the candidate to appear for the certification exam, he needs to fulfill the following two conditions:
- He should have successfully completed Step 1 and Step 2 (Clinical Knowledge) exams of USMLE
- He should have also successfully completed the Step 2 (Clinical skills) exam of USMLE.
For candidates, who clear the Step 2 (clinical skill) USMLE exam, their result is not subject to expiration for the purpose of entering U.S. programs of graduate medical education. However, there are certain time limits that the candidate has to adhere to with subject to using the passing results of the USMLE steps.
- ECFMG policy states that once a IMG has successfully completed a step or a component of a step, the candidate has 7 years to successfully pass all of the other steps and steps component for getting an ECFMG certification.
- The state medical licensing authorities require the IMG to complete all USMLE steps (inclusion step 3) within seven years for a candidate to achieve a license.
- Candidates who have appeared for the Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA) are required to pass only Step 1 & Step 2 (CK) within 7 years of each other for ECFMG certification.
- If a candidate has passed any step before June 14, 2004, they are required to pass Step 1 and Step 2 CK within 7 years to get the ECFMG certification.
- Medical Education Credential Requirements –
The physician’s medical school must be listed in the World Directory as meeting eligibility requirements for its students and graduates to apply to ECFMG for ECFMG Certification and examination. For those medical schools that meet ECFMG eligibility requirements, there will be an ECFMG note on the Sponsor Notes tab of the schools’ World Directory listing. If there is no ECFMG note on medical school’s Sponsor Notes tab, then the candidate is not eligible to apply to ECFMG for ECFMG Certification or examination.
What does a Standard ECFMG certificate contain?
- The name of the Candidate.
- The USMLE/ECFMG identification number of the candidate.
- The dates when the examination requirement are met
- The date when the certificate was issued.
Eligibility for the Exam
- For Medical School Students – For a candidate to be eligible for Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS, he/she should be enrolled in a medical school located outside of US and Canada that is listed in the World Directory both at the time of submitting the application for the exam and on the date of appearing for the exam.
- For Medical School Graduates – For a candidate to be eligible for Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS, he/she should be enrolled in a medical school located outside of US and Canada that is listed in the World Directory. The graduation year of the candidate should be mentioned on the Sponsor note tab of the medical school World Dictionary. ECFMG also seeks validation from a authorized official of the candidate’s medical school that the candidate is a graduate of that medical school.
- If the candidate’s eligibility for the exam changes after application is submitted, the candidate has to inform ECFMG immediately.