Immigration and Visas

visa pablito


For Non-US born Medical Students and IMGs that want to be US practicing physicians, you will need a visa in order to complete your goal of being a US doctor. The visa process can be an exhausting and tiresome system to deal with while still applying for residencies or USCE (United States Clinical Experience).

There are many different visa types available to come to the United States, however each one has different requirements and stipulations. While the full listings of all visa types are available through the US State department’s website, it is recommend that you obtain one of the following visa types:

B1 Commonly known as a business-visitor visa, this will allow you to enter the United States for professional reasons, and you can continue your education and work in the United States with this visa.
More information found at:

J1 Commonly this is known as a Job visa, it allows you to enter the United States, as well as allows you to retain employment within the United States. If you have matched for a residency, you will need a J1 visa.
More information found at:

H-1B – non-immigrant visa that allows US companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise in specialized fields such as in architecture, engineering, mathematics, science, and medicine.
More information found at:

V1 Referred to as a visitor’s visa, with this you may enter the United States, but it completely restricts any ability to have paid employment. This visa may also limit any educational programs you may have planned, and the amount of time you may stay in the United States.
More information found at:

F1 Student visa, they are on issued for specific time periods after you have been admitted to a US school, and do not allow you to work during your stay in the United States.
More information found at:

Visa Sponsorships

Federal sponsoring agencies include the Department of Health and Human Services(HHS), the Veterans Administration (VA), the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC),and the Delta Regional Authority (DRA). These agencies sponsor mostly primary care physicians for waivers (including internists), except for the VA, which also sponsors specialists. Almost all states, except for a select few, sponsor both primary care and specialist physicians for J waivers.